Sunday, January 30, 2011

Alien Update

About 2 weeks ago I came up with an idea for an Alien and a Skeleton doll. At that time I started to sculpt the original pieces out of clay and then made master plaster molds of them. Now that the molds are dry I am able to cast them in slip (liquid clay), make a few changes, refine them and production molds can be made from those pieces. I'll make many so that I can pour lots of pieces without having to wait for the molds to dry before I can start casting again. After pouring the production molds, waiting for the clay to set up, removing the parts from the molds, seams and pouring spouts can be removed and a final smoothing and refining of the parts is done. I'll have to wait for those parts to dry and then the parts will be put in a kiln and fired. Only after all that can I start actually working on the doll body. Phew, Makes me tired just thinking about all the steps!
This is how I have always made dolls, it's a very labor and time intensive method of working. From concept to completion it takes months for me to complete the first doll. I have chosen to work in this medium for doll making as it is a time tested, stable medium ... I like that.

6 comments:

kattyg said...

Wow, that's interesting! A lot of work!!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

AWESOME. Love how you explained not only the process, but why you do it. That is often something people don't convey when they show a new technique (or an old one in this case).

Shannon said...

Wow, that really is a lot of work. That's so wonderful that you know how to do the molds and everything. I would love to learn to do that. I can't wait to see your finished art doll. Be sure and do a posting on it.

last minute lynn said...

I can't wait to see the finished dolls!

Caterina Giglio said...

wow, having made dolls with plaster cloth, I know that doll making is very labour and time intensive, cannot wait to see the finished pieces!

Mescrap said...

Cool !!
Love those tiny parts !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...