Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Image Transfers


I have been fighting with image transfers these past few weeks.  I know there are a million different methods, but I determined to make it work with packing tape or contact paper.


I am finding that packing tape transfers make for very transparent crisp images and the paper is very easy to remove from the back.  However, it's near impossible to use any mediums on top of these transfers.  If you sand the images to roughen them up a bit you can, but it still can easily be removed with the slightest pressure of a finger nail.


I'm working with magazine images from different magazines,  laser prints and various book images ... color and black and white.


Contact paper transfers are proofing to be rather unpredictable and it's difficult to remove the paper from the back without actually lifting the image.  The plus side of the contact paper transfers is that you can use other mediums on top ... with a slight sanding, everything seems to stick quite well.


Just yesterday I discovered a new type of contact paper and so far am having wonderful results.  Grant it, I have only made 1 transfer, but so far so good! Extremely transparent, all the paper comes off the back easily AND other mediums stick to the surface.  In the picture below I used a print  (the text) from my laser printer and it sure seems to work. I am now off to try it with other images from magazines and books!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am one of your ardent fans......I LOVE everything you do! I Have struggled to find a successful image transfer that works and would be very appreciative if you would share the name of the contact paper you had luck with. Many thanks! Sharon P.

ljgg said...

Can't wait to try this! I've been picking out some images to get laser printed for Monday!!!

Pam said...

Which brand of contact paper, Ingrid?? Is the journal class using metal tabbed covers re-scheduled??

Bea said...

Clear gesso over the packing tape might work...b

VickiRossArt said...

Nice post! I, too, am curious about the contact paper. I just always use Matt medium. Packing tape is so shiny!

papercracker said...

Have you ever looked into Lazertran? It is expensive, but adheres to many different surfaces. However, I am not sure how well other stuff would layer over top of it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...