Sunday, June 11, 2006

Finally, a firing!

Finally, I have all the "parts" poured, dried and was able to fire. Seems to have taken forever to fill up the kiln this time. Grant it I have an awful lot of small parts which are more time consuming to pour and get enough quantity to fill the kiln, but there have been so many interruptions lately. I just can't seem to produce the quantity as quickly as I used to. Everything seems to be moving in slow motion. This is really frustrating as I am normally such a fast worker. Well, hopefully this will change. I am very excited to get working with these new parts and start on the collage dolls. I have sketches and plans as to how to handle them, but of course that always changes and they'll end up VERY different from what I had originally envisioned. I made an error on the size of the faces I had printed up, so I will have to change those and make another trip up to the printer. I'll try to get that done tomorrow. I'll also start making the patterns for the legs arms and body. I haven't done that as of yet. The "parts" shrink considerably from the original piece to the final fired piece. Not by a great deal, but enough to throw off the proportions, if I'd made the cloth body parts earlier. Haven't quite decided what to fill the dolls with yet. I like weight to a doll. Since these will be a smallish doll (for my standards anyways) I'm thinking of adding some sort of pellets to the fiber fill stuffing to add a bit of weight.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...