Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Reduction Printing

Last week at the monthly meeting with the art group I belong to, we experimented with reduction printing (thanks to Leann Meixner). We used soft blocks (used for eraser carving) to carve our printing designs. In this case we first carved a little of the design and printed yellow. Carved a bit more and then printed blue. Once again more was carved and it was printed in metallic gold. We printed on a few different papers for a variety of looks. I'm sure the more you do this kind of printing the more you would be able to plan your design and colors and have more predictable results, but I rather enjoy being a novice and being surprised each step of the way. It's been many years since I have done this kind of printing and I certainly enjoyed revisiting this technique. I haven't tried it yet, but I am thinking this block would now make a great rubber stamp as it is.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...